Top 10 Delicious and Healthy Coffee Recipes
October 23, 2021 | Kurt Parker
When you go to your local coffee shop, you’ll find so many delicious and refreshing coffees in there. No doubt about that, but healthy coffees? probably not so much.
Commercial coffee shops are centered much on flavor among anything else so if you’re trying to become healthy, it is wiser to brew your own at home.
Our team went on to try a lot of healthy coffee recipes for the past week and we found out that YOU DON’T HAVE TO COMPROMISE TASTE, JUST TO DRINK A HEALTHY COFFEE.
The 10 Healthy Coffee Recipes you can make at Home
Read on to learn each healthy coffee recipe and We will give you our impartial judgements in terms of taste, preparation and health benefits.
It is best to try them yourself because taste is subjective, but we do our best to survey as many subjects we can to give a balanced judgement later on.
#1 The Ketogenic Coffee (Bulletproof Coffee)
- You’ll need these: 1 cup of brewed black coffee, 1 Tbsp. organic unsalted butter, 3 tsp. coconut oil, ¼ tsp. vanilla
- You Need to do these: Put all your ingredients into a blender and blend for about 25 seconds.
- It will taste like: A lot less bitter, around same sharpness as a creamy latte.
- Your Body will get: A boost in brain activity in the morning and high energy levels throughout the day because of high-quality fats, not sugar.
- Score: 8/10
#2 The Nutty Coffee (Vanilla Almond Coffee)
- You’ll need these: Ground coffee beans, 2 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk, 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- You Need to do these: Put all your ingredients into a tight container and shake well. Freeze and prepare as usual.
- It will taste like: The flavor is still coffee but nutty because of the almond milk, fragrant and kinda sweet because of vanilla.
- Your Body will get: 4 calories and 4 mg sodium per cup. No fat, cholesterol and sugars. Pure energy without adding sugar.
- Score: 7/10
#3 The Fruity Coffee (Whipped Banana Latte)
- You’ll need these: 1 cup brewed coffee, 3/4 cup whole milk and light cream, 2 ripe frozen bananas, 1/2 cup ice, whipped cream
- You Need to do these: Put all your ingredients into a blender and blend for about 20 seconds.
- It will taste like: A banana flavored coffee shake. Very mild, fruity and fragrant.
- Your Body will get: 100 calories, 2g fat, 9 mg cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 1 g protein and 17 carbs per cup. A jolt of potassium as well from the banana.
- Score: 8/10
#4 The Mocha Coffee (Cinnamon Cocoa Coffee)
- You’ll need these: 1 /3 cup brewed coffee, 1/2 Tbsp. powder cinnamon, 1/2 cup milk, 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla.
- You Need to do these: Place the brewed coffee and cinnamon powder together and set aside. Place the milk, unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla in saucepan for 5 minutes until bubbly. Pour the coffee-cinnamon mixture immediately.
- It will taste like: Rich Hot- Chocolatey flavor with strong cinnamon fragrance.
- Your Body will get: 50 calories, 1 g fat, 15 mg sodium, 7g carbs and 2g protein per cup.
- Score: 9/10
#5 The Honey Coffee (Honey-Spiced Latte)
- You’ll need these: 1/2 cup ground coffee beans, 1 cup cold water, 1/8 Tbsp. powder cinnamon, 1/3 cup milk, 1/8 Tbsp. ground ginger, 1/16 Tbsp. cloves, 1/16 Tbsp. nutmeg, 2 Tbsp. honey
- You Need to do these: Brew the ground coffee as usual. Combine all else in a saucepan, let it cool. Combine the coffee in a blender and blend for about 15 seconds until foams appear.
- It will taste like: Sweet, Frothy and very aromatic coffee. You will immediately get the barista vibes when enjoying this coffee since it is a twist to the popular pumpkin spice latte.
- Your Body will get: 130 calories, 2 g fat, 30 mg sodium, 15g carbs and 2g protein, 2 g fat per cup.
- Score: 9/10
#6 The Hazelnut Coffee (Iced Skinny Hazelnut Latte)
- You’ll need these: 1 cup fat-free milk, 1/4 hazelnut Belgian cafe coffee drink mix, 2 Tbsp. refrigerated hazelnut coffee creamer, 1 cup of crushed ice/ 1 ice cube tray or coffee ice cubes.
- You Need to do these: Put 1 cup fat-free milk in the microwave until it’s hot, add the cafe coffee mix until fully dissolved, add the creamer and 2 cups of milk, place the crushed ice on top.
- It will taste like: Super Nutty, somewhat sweet and fragrant espresso.
- Your Body will get: 150 calories, 2 g fat, 125 mg sodium, 22g carbs and 2g protein, 2 g fat per cup. Very low fat because we use fat-free milk instead of full-fat in the normal hazelnut latte.
- Score: 7/10
#7 The Egg Coffee (Scandinavian Coffee)
- You’ll need these: 3 Tbsp. ground coffee beans, 1 egg with shell, 4 cups hot water, 1 cup cold water
- You Need to do these: Boil 3 cups of water. Combine ground coffee beans and egg with crushed egg shells, add few tbsps of water in the mixture when it becomes too dry. Add the mixture to the boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove heat and add the 1 cup cold water. Strain and serve.
- It will taste like: Very rich, smooth and not-bitter coffee. You will be surprised with the taste because the ingredients is so simple. The eggs and egg shells completely draw-in the impurities that makes it bitter.
- Your Body will get: 2 calories, 5 mg sodium, 2 g fat per cup. Very low sodium and low calorie coffee per cup, perfect for those in a diet!
- Score: 6/10
#8 The Caffeinated Smoothie (Healthy Coffee Smoothie)
- You’ll need these: 1 cup refrigerated brewed coffee, 1 ripe banana, 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp. Honey, 1/4 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon, 1 cup of ice cubes
- You Need to do these: Put all your ingredients into a blender and blend until you get the smoothness you prefer.
- It will taste like: A match made in heaven, the banana sweetness and yogurt combined with coffee flavor is something that no other sweeteners can achieve.
- Your Body will get: Per cup is around 151 calories, Vitamin B6 39%, Vitamin C 22%, Vitamin D 25%. Very low calorie but packed with vitamins, fiber and caffeine to get you going throughout your day.
- Score: 9/10
#9 The Christmas Coffee (Hot Ginger Coffee)
- You’ll need these: 6 Tbsp. ground coffee beans, 1 Tbsp. finely grated orange zest, 1 Tbsp. chopped ginger, 1/4 Tbsp. cinnamon powder, 6 cups of cold water
- You Need to do these: Combine all ingredients into a coffee filter and brew using 6 cups of water.
- It will taste like: The final cup will smell and taste like Christmas morning, zesty from the orange and ginger warms your body.
- Your Body will get: 22 calories, 3mg sodium, 5g carbs and 1g protein per cup.
- Score: 7/10
#10 The Weight Loss Coffee (Cashew Coffee)
- You’ll need these: 1 1/2 cup brewed coffee, 1/4 cup roasted and unsalted cashews, 1 Tbsp. Honey, sea salt
- You Need to do these: Put all your ingredients into a blender and blend until you get the creamy texture that you prefer, add a pinch of sea salt.
- It will taste like: naturally sweet, nutty and the cream is delicious. The balance of salt and honey is the one that made this coffee the best for the team.
- Your Body will get: 150 calories, 20mg sodium, 10g fat and 13g fat per cup. Cashew nuts is also a good source of magnesium which is needed for you metabolism of fats and carbs so cashew coffee is called the weight loss coffee.
- Score: 10/10
2 Ingredients you don’t want to add in your Healthy Coffee Recipes
Your coffee can stay healthy if you can find alternatives to these ingredients:
- Non-Dairy Creamer – These types of creamers can increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes and stroke. Just 1 Tbsp. of some Non-Dairy Creamers in the market can contain around 1 gram trans fat. Just use coconut milk as alternative.
- Artificial flavor shots – One ingredient you don’t want to load up on is sugar. A lot of flavor shots contain large amount of sugar and it forfeits any sacrifices you have made so far. Just use natural vanilla extracts or hazelnut.
No Coffee after 2 PM
Many of us are guilty on this habit, but we need to listen because studies conducted on coffee drinkers after 2 PM shows that majority of them have sleep latency problem. It means, they cannot achieve 8 hours of sleep anymore due to caffeine.
So it is better to drink decaf after 2 PM, or just draw a line and drink earlier.
Our team had a lot of fun conducting this experiments for you, which goes to show that nothing beats coffee if prepared healthy – good for the soul, mood and body for energy.
These are the rankings based on taste, health benefits and ease of preparation: